Here are a some equipment options that for your workouts that you can use within your home, yard, local park, etc.. These can add to the overall workout experience but are not essential.
Places to purchase equipment and for more information visit:
EQUIPMENT & GEAR WE PROVIDE FOR PERSONAL TRAINING SESSIONS:
- Stability Ball - Either a 55 cm, 65 cm or 75 cm stability ball (physio ball). It depends on your height as to which one would be best for you or you can purchase all three which will allow for greater diversity and challenges.
- Kettlebells - Kettlebells offer a great way to functionally train the entire human movement system. Kettlebells are a serious strength, power & conditioning tool and focuses on muscle integration and not isolation. Proper skill development and progressions is essential.
- Foam Roller - This is a must have! Self-myofascial release (SMR) is another form of stretching that focuses on the neural system and tissues of the body. We will use this to apply gently force to adhesions, "knots" or general tight musculature that causes pain and discomfort which alters the bodies posture causing injuries & inefficiency. Think of its as your very own massage & stretch therapist. Click here to learn more...
- Training Ropes - Rope training is an intense conditioner for your aerobic and anaerobic systems. Its also a great way to enhance your grip strength as well as your functional and core strength. Click here to see some of our clients in action with training ropes. You can also purchase great ropes from artofstrength.com, click here.
- Powerblock Dumbbells - These Powerblock DB's are great to have and we have been using them for many years with no problems. They take up very little room at just 2 dumbbells that convert into many. They are reasonably priced compared to buying individual DB's that can cost you significantly more.
- TRX - TRX Suspension Training requires the use of the TRX® Suspension Trainer™, a highly portable performance training tool that leverages gravity and the user’s bodyweight to enable hundreds of exercises that can be instantly scaled for any user to reach any fitness or training goal. The easily scalable nature of TRX Suspension Training makes it a practical solution wherever you are on the fitness continuum.
- Slackline - Gibbons slacklines offers a great way to enhance balance, core and functional ability.
- Medicine Balls - Medicine balls are a great addition to your in-home gym and come in many varieties. MB's are an awesome way to train any area of your body while always integrating the core (abdominal complex, hips, glutes, low back and along the spine) in a functional manner.
- Bands & Tubing - These allow further training in all planes of motion, stressing your functional posture & core strength. Any exercise you have seen in the gym, can be done with these + much more. The one's we like to use are the All-Purpose Exercise Bands. They come in 5 levels of resistance, so be sure to ask us which one's would be best for you. We do recommend you purchase all of them (5 in total). These are very durable bands and can be attached in many ways.
- Mini- Bands - These are great for lateral resistance and movements.
- Weighted Vests - Increases intensity during exercise by incorporating it into hill training, strength training, power training, etc. Weighted vests add resistance similar to body weight, allowing individuals to train with minimal modifications to their natural biomechanics.
- Cones, Jump ropes, Stretching helpers (Stretch out Strap), BOSU Balance Trainer, PB Discs Pillows, Airex Balance Pads, wobble boards, Ankle weights, Parachutes, Speed & Agility Ladders, Sled Dawg 2, Punching bag + Gloves + Punch mitts, Plyo-Boxes, Hurdles & Cones
EQUIPMENT & GEAR WE RECOMMEND:
- You - The best piece of equipment is you and our training focus is on making you as functional as possible. This will allow you to achieve a high level of fitness and minimize your chance of an injury.
- Heart Rate Monitor - Using a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM), will add great benefit to your workouts. With the combination of your RPE (Rating perceived exertion) and at heart rate monitor you will gain a better understanding to prescribed training loads, workloads, intensity and effort. You can purchase a HRM at many locations or order them online. Garmin, Suunto, Polar, Timex, Nike for men or Nike for women. These all make great HRM's with some being more advanced then others offering GPS options.
- Cycling Trainers & Rollers - Such as the one's from Saris Cycling Company which you can purchase at Campmor or your local bike shop. These are great and deliver a road like feel with varying resistance to almost mimic what the response would be when you head outside for a ride.
- Stationary Bike or Spin Bike -
- Treadmills - Life Fitness Treadmills, Reebok Treadmills, Pro-Form Treadmills, etc.
- Trainers - CycleOps Trainers
- Rollers - CycleOps Rollers
- Power Meters - Quarq Powermeters / CycleOps Powermeters
- Nathan Sports - Hydration Vests, Packs & Handheld Water Bottles
GPS, HEART RATE & ANT+ Data Recording Devices:
- Garmin Forerunner 305 - running
- Garmin Forerunner 310xt - running, cycling, swimming
- Garmin Forerunner 910xt - running, cycling, swimming
- Garmin Edge 705 - cycling
- Garmin Edge 800 - cycling
- Garmin Edge 500 - cycling
FITNESS APPS & WEBSITES:
- Training Peaks - Apps / Website
- Garmin Connect - Apps / Website
- Wahoo Fitness - iPhone App / other Apps / Website
- MapMyFitness - Apps / Website
- Strava - Apps / Website